AMPHA's Act

My views on state of movies and music

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

KUDOS to Karan

Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna finally released and I saw it within the first 7 days! I can't recall the last movie I have seen that quickly. And considering my current schedule I don't recall the last movie I've seen at first thoughts! Of course, I have had luck trusting my instinct avoidng some big banner films (Fanaa) for unimpressive direction and I've been right. Krrish is still left to be seen though. Anyway this post is for KANK and KANK only. For me KANK is an absolute classic - an impressive take on the cliched topic of infidelity in marriage. Karan Johar has proved again what a master writer he is - in developing his characters, his situations and the overall story. KANK provides wholesome entertainment with some amazingly developed unusual (Amitabh Bachchan) and stero-type breaking roles (Shah Rukh Khan). Along with the serious theme the film has, dollops of finely written comedy also make their presence felt in the first half.

In all the marriage infidelity movies (MIMs) seen till date, KANK goes way past most of them in terms of maturity in handling the subject. By maturity I mean this: Most of earlier MIMs have happy marriages followed by entry of the outsider ( "woh" ) creating the infidelity followed by utterly predictable/illogical scenes. Not here though. Here the infidelity develops out of non-working marriages. Those involved in dying relationships try their best to infuse life in them. Elders try in their own ways to save the relationships. So someone doesn't just stand up and walk out of some marriage for no reason and others don't just keep on watching or sympathising! Yes infidelity happens nonetheless but innovative and out-of-the-box solutions are sought. People move on and don't keep making matters worse for themselves and others.

Hypocrites are reacting over the "inappropriate" happenings in the movie terming them as "bold". That real life happenings are much more complicated that what is shown in the movie is conveniently ignored. That is the tendency though! Like every man will consider it his dream to be in Amitabh Bachchan's shoes living the life he lives in KANK but still it will be "inappropriate". Anyway, let all such people go home and do some healthy introspection.

Karan Johar receives 10/10 from me for putting so much effort and money into making such a big movie. That it also has great songs has been discussed in detail here. I hope and pray that the film does good business so that KJ recovers all his money and can make even better movies. If the skyrocketing opening collections are anything to to by, KANK is on its way to achieve a mega hit status.

(Here is Khalid Mohamed's review for KANK)

1 Comments:

Blogger ChinmaY said...

Yup, KANK is ok types movie. Theme and storyline is very very relevant with todays times but I think that KJ should have worked more on screenplay. I felt that he got confused after some point like exactly he wants to show.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home